05 March 2009

Maltbie Davenport Babcock

Auburn Theological Seminary, Class of 1882;
pastor; author of a beloved hymn

During his lifetime, Maltbie Davenport Babcock was noted for his effective pulpit oratory and was considered one of the most gifted preachers in the Presbyterian Church. Over a century after his tragic death at a young age, however, he is best remembered as the author of a beloved hymn.

Babcock was born in Syracuse on 3 August 1858. He was educated at Syracuse University (1879) and Auburn Theological Seminary (1882). Upon ordination, he became pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Lockport, where he developed a reputation as a stirring preacher. From 1887 to 1900, he was the senior minister of Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church in Baltimore, where he is memorialized by a stained glass window, "The Holy City," by Louis Comfort Tiffany. In 1900, a "public movement" began in Baltimore to encourage Babcock to decline a call to Brick Presbyterian Church in New York; a large contingent of the faculty of Johns Hopkins University called upon him for this purpose. The New York Times noted that this competition between the Presbyterians of Baltimore and New York "is developing into a battle, although a friendly one." Babcock accepted the call to New York, and the Brick Presbyterian Church was his final pulpit.

While pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Lockport, Babcock jogged frequently to a hill on the escarpment, from which place he enjoyed an inspiring view of God's creation. Explaining these excursions, he said, "I am going to see my Father’s world.” These words led him to compose a poem of sixteen verses, which was set to Terra Patris, a tune by Franklin L. Sheppard. "This Is My Father's World" may be found in many popular hymnals even to this day.

This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.

This is my Father’s world: I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father’s world, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker’s praise.

This is my Father’s world: He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass; He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father’s world, should my heart be ever sad?
The lord is King—let the heavens ring. God reigns—let the earth be glad.

In 1901, Rev. Babcock and his wife, Kathleen (Tallman) Babcock made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. On the return voyage, he was stricken with fever and hospitalized in Naples. On 18 May 1901, in a state of delerium, he took his own life by severing an artery in his wrist and ingesting corrosive sublimate. His body was returned to his native city and interred at Oakwood Cemetery.


"The Holy City," by Louis Comfort Tiffany,
Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church, Baltimore,
a memorial to Maltbie Davenport Babcock.
(Click here for larger image.)